Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball's Black Eye
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 5/22/07 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see if that really happens and what comes out of it.
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 5/22/07 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Aaron said even if Bonds was poised to break the record in Atlanta he wouldn't attend. If that doesn't say everything I don't know what does.
Sandi

PostPosted: Wed 5/23/07 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think the Yankees knew what they were getting when they signed Giambi (steroids and all)? I'm not saying he deserves to get paid since he's a cheater, but I don't think the Yankees should be able to get out of the contract for that reason, either.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 5/23/07 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, but when you realize every team had someone who at the time was using them and the problem was so widespread (but nobody did anything about it), why should anyone be able to get out of a contract? Apparently most execs in MLB looked the other way, and I'm pretty sure they all knew what they were getting.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 5/28/07 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an article on espn that Bonds would not give any of his momentos to the hall of fame and that they are worried about it. Why they care I don't know but this guy continues to amaze me on how self centered he is. And he wonders why he doesn't get respect and no one likes him.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/3/07 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late reporting back on this, but, Jason Giambi met with MLB officials last week to discuss his previous comments. It doesn't appear much was revealed to the press about it.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 6/3/07 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From today's L.A. Times:

"He may be a cheater, but he's our cheater"

New York greeted Barry Bonds last week with loud boos, blindfolds and signs that included "Juice Boy," "Cheater" and "Respect the game, stop at 754."

New York greeted Guillermo Mota with no signs and a relatively muffled mix of cheers and boos. On a night Bonds and the Giants were in town, Mota rejoined the Mets' bullpen after a 50-game steroid suspension.

Before the game, Mota apologized for "my mistake" and said he "learned my lesson." If he were a fan, would Mota boo himself?

"No, I'd be like," then started clapping. "He's a good pitcher."

He pitched two shutout innings that night, his fastball up to 95 mph.

"He made a mistake," the Mets' Tom Glavine said after the game. "He's trying to atone for that. If he pitches like he did tonight, he'll make us a better team."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/11/07 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again going back to a press release issued last week, Bud Selig has asked Jason Giambi to meet with George Mitchell regarding his comments made last month to USA Today.

I love this very brief official statement issued by the Yankees.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 6/14/07 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yankees' Jason Giambi faces discipline, and meanwhile a plea deal for the attorney who leaked the BALCO grand jury testimony to the press has been rejected.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/4/07 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I've really gotten behind on updating this thread. Last month, Yankees slugger Jason Giambi met with Sen. George Mitchell at the request of Commissioner Bud Selig.

Some interesting notes from the MLB.com article linked above:

Quote:
Giambi, who has publicly admitted his steroid use, was the first active player to meet with the committee that was established last year to investigate MLB's steroid era.

Union and MLB officials reached a compromise late last month, regarding the context under which Giambi would speak about his past use of performance-enhancing drugs.

Giambi didn't have to talk about other players. In addition, there was no transcript or recording of the meeting.

On June 6, Commissioner Bud Selig gave Giambi a two-week deadline to make a decision about meeting with Mitchell and then reportedly threatened to suspend the injured first baseman if he didn't comply. At the time, Selig also said he would hold any disciplinary action in abeyance, pending what Giambi has to say to Mitchell.

The fact that Giambi agreed to a meeting was a break-through for the committee. During his investigation, Mitchell has had little cooperation from either the union or the individual current players, who previously have all declined to meet with his group.

Mitchell was charged with investigating and submitting a report to MLB about the steroid issue nearly 17 months ago. This year, he has been negotiating with the union to obtain medical documents and player interviews, but up until now those efforts have been unsuccessful. His committee doesn't have the authority to subpoena documents or compel testimony.

Four years ago, Giambi was among a number of athletes who appeared before a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative (BALCO) for money laundering and the illicit sale of performance-enhancing drugs. In his testimony, illegally leaked to the San Francisco Chronicle, Giambi admitted he had used steroids, although the full text of that testimony has never been released.

So, no official transcript of the meeting? Mitchell's committee doesn't seem to have much power to do anything.

Meanwhile, yesterday it was announced that the Tigers' Neifi Perez has been suspended again for a positive test of stimulants before even completing his previous suspension.

Quote:
Tigers infielder Neifi Perez received his second such sentence in a month, this one an 80-game suspension for another positive test.

...The latest discipline means Perez tested positive for stimulants for the third time under the MLB program.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 8/6/07 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand Bud Selig. He wanted Giambi to talk about steriods or suspend him. He put him in a no win situation. Not that he shouldn't be accountable for what he did but felt like Selig was using Giambi. There has been alot of this going on for along time and maybe I am wrong but Selig is partially to blame. I guess I don't know what to think about this whole thing and I HATE that it has been the main focus for baseball.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 8/16/07 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selig chooses not to discipline Giambi:

Quote:
"He's doing a lot of public service work. He was forthright with Senator Mitchell -- at least that was Senator Mitchell's conclusion. I think with all the off-field charitable activities he's doing, this will do more good. Given everything, this is an appropriate decision."

Selig said that Giambi, who is earning $20 million this season, intends to donate $50,000 to the Partnership for a Drug-Free America and make an additional $50,000 contribution in cash or equipment to the Harlem chapter of the RBI program. In addition, Giambi has agreed to make an appearance this offseason at MLB's Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.

In all fairness, to me it seems Giambi is one of the few who've ever admitted or expressed regret for steroid use--and he truly seems remorseful, unlike many of the others who've been linked to them.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Thu 8/16/07 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Linda. Plus it shows that you can turn your life around and still succeed which is something I hope my children can see in themselves.
Nurse Cozmo

PostPosted: Tue 8/21/07 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can turn your life around and still succeed

True, but may I say that I watched the last 3 innings of the Angels/Yankees game yesterday, and I couldn't believe my eyes ...Jason looked AWFUL! He was still on the DL when we went to our Yankees game in NY and I hadn't seen him yet this season. I was shocked. He looked like he was at least 20 lbs heavier and about 10 years older than the last time I saw him on TV in 06.

Lesson: Don't do drugs folks. Stimulants, steroids et all ...you may feel good when you are on them, but when you stop! OMG all that strain on your body from inorganic metabolic mechanisms and your body will suddenly age to an unnatural state d/t the stress it has been under.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
stlred

PostPosted: Wed 8/22/07 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Nursecozmo
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/7/07 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stlred posted:

Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:15 pm

A New York Newspaper is reporting that Rick Ankiel took HGH in 2004. Maybe I'm am looking at this thru Cardinal covered glasses but this really ticks me off that this is big headlines. The son of Bobby can get away with everything but Ankiel is getting blasted over something from 2004. Don't get me wrong I think all of this is bad but this was before there was a ban on hgh and he hasn't taken since then. Go figure it came out from a New York paper. They just can't stand a feel good story especially if it comes from the midwest.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/7/07 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link from MLB.com is here.

My take on it is it's a legitimate news story. I do think you're overreacting a bit because this would have been reported no matter who the player was. I doubt it has anything to do with a feel-good story from the Midwest--remember how hard the New York press has been on Jason Giambi, one of the Yankees' own, while he has been under scrutiny. Next, the story originated on the East Coast, which is where Ankiel is from. But I'm sure the same would have been reported if it had been based on the West Coast, too. Just scroll up throughout this thread and see how many players from all over have been named in these investigations.

However, I can understand Cardinals fans being upset that this is just another setback of sorts in the 2007 season, especially given the way Ankiel has breathed new life back into the team over the past month.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Harpo

PostPosted: Fri 9/7/07 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the list just keeps growing ...

Sports Illustrated reports that Troy Glaus received shipments of steroids in 2003 and 2004:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/09/07/drug.probe/index.html
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Fri 9/7/07 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel bad for Rick, who seems to have a never-ending supply of drama.
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 9/8/07 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think I was over reacting too and I do think that it would have been reported no matter where it was. The part that gets me it is from 2004 before it was illegal. I also believe it is true. I just want all the facts behind it. If it was before the ban on it and he is not taking anymore then why shouldn't he be playing. Giambi is still playing. There were even messages on other boards saying we should give up our ws championship from last year.
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Sat 9/8/07 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stlred wrote:
There were even messages on other boards saying we should give up our ws championship from last year.

Now that's just silly talk.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/1/07 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took awhile, but baseball's black eye is a shiner again.

Commissioner Selig announced during the course of the playoffs that all teams were briefed on the status of the Mitchell report via conference call. According to MLB.com, a report is due by the end of the year.

Quote:
(Selig) said a story Friday [October 12] regarding the call published by ESPN.com was off-base. The website, quoting an unnamed source, said that Mitchell's report is going to be "salacious" and "would include many names -- names which have so far not been disclosed publicly, and the names of well-known players."

...Four players have been recently named in an Albany, N.Y., investigation into the sale of performance-enhancing drugs via a pharmacy doing business via the Internet: the Cardinals' Rick Ankiel, the Orioles' Jay Gibbons, the Mets' Scott Schoeneweis and the Blue Jays' Troy Glaus.

Glaus met with MLB officials about the matter last month, following the lead of Ankiel and Gibbons.

Gary Matthews Jr. of the Angels also was named back in February in the sting.

None of those players, though, have been known to have met with Mitchell's committee.

Yesterday, it was announced that Padres outfielder Mike Cameron has been suspended for 25 games for testing positive for a banned stimulant.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
yagsy

PostPosted: Thu 11/1/07 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that on the local radio sports station, Mike Cameron came on, against his agent's wishes to talk about the suspension and clarify one thing. He didn't take steroids of which this is the second time he has failed a drug test.

This is the second time he failed the drug test, by using a stimulant that he feels he took in a sports drink. Now, I am a huge fan of Mike Cameron, he's one of my Fave Padres and I've followed his career since he was with the Reds. The guy made a mistake, he has learned from it and admitted to taking something he should have cleared with the Padres training staff. But he didn't. He's embarrassed for himself and his family and I would suspect really will not do this again. It took a 2nd failed test but never was it steriods.

Just wanted to make that all clear... no pun intended.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/6/07 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose Guillen, Matt Williams and Ismael Valdez are the most recently named, in a San Francisco Chronicle report, according to MLB.com.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Harpo

PostPosted: Tue 11/6/07 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chronicle story to which Barry Bloom referred is here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/06/MNM2T2U24.DTL&type=news

It has considerably more detail than Bloom's piece.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 11/8/07 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's being reported that 11 FAs are being named in the Mitchell report. This ought to get interesting.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Fri 11/9/07 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that on the radio yesterday. You're right, it should be very interesting.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 11/27/07 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHP Dan Serafini was suspended for 50 games for testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 11/30/07 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting comments out of Anaheim, via the L.A. Times:

"Angels' Moreno says names will be named in baseball drug report"

Angels owner expects the Mitchell report to get some people mad, and says that owners should have cleaned up the sport years ago.

November 29, 2007

Angels owner Arte Moreno said Wednesday that he fully expects the soon-to-be-released Mitchell report on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball to include the names of players linked to those substances. Moreno is the first owner to say publicly that names will be included in the report.

"The names of players will come out that people will be mad about," Moreno said, referring to the likelihood that the names may upset fans, players, the players' union and others. "Some of my information is second-hand, but I know there's going to be names."

Moreno spoke to reporters after a news conference at Angel Stadium, where his club introduced the recently acquired center fielder Torii Hunter and pitcher Jon Garland.

Moreno described himself as a "squeaky wheel" who has urged the Commissioner's office to be "proactive in cleaning up" the sport of performance-enhancing drugs and said that "anyone who tries to cheat the system shouldn't be in baseball." He implied that he welcomed the Mitchell report as another step in that process.

"If you've got dirty laundry, get it out there and get rid of it," he said, adding that if anyone is to blame for baseball's failure to take an aggressive stance on steroids and other substances before implementing a tougher testing program, "I blame the owners for not sticking up for too many years for what's right."

In March 2006, Commissioner Bud Selig appointed George Mitchell, a former Senate majority leader and Federal prosecutor, to conduct an investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the sport.

Two baseball officials said Wednesday that Mitchell has officially notified the Commissioner's office and the players' union that his report will be released in December.

Although lacking subpoena power (Jason Giambi, at Selig's urging, is the only active player known to have met with Mitchell), his investigation has been aided by Kirk Radomski, a former New York Mets clubhouse attendant who pleaded guilty to steroid distribution in April. Radomski, in a plea agreement, acknowledged that he provided dozens of players with banned substances over a 10-year period and said that he had been encouraged to cooperate with Mitchell.

In addition, the district attorney in Albany, N.Y., investigating several pharmacies and clinics linked to the shipment of steroids and human growth hormone to current and former players from 2002 to 2006 (during which time baseball's testing program was significantly toughened), has supplied baseball with evidentiary material.

Among the players tied to those shipments in published reports are Giambi, Rick Ankiel of St. Louis, Paul Byrd of Cleveland, Jay Gibbons of Baltimore, Troy Glaus of Toronto and Gary Matthews Jr., the Angels outfielder who is alleged to have received a shipment of HGH in 2004 and who met with representatives of the commissioner to discuss it Nov. 7.

Matthews has said that he has never used HGH, and Moreno said Wednesday that he has had many meetings with Matthews and believes he is "clean" of any performance-enhancing drug. (Baseball does not test for HGH.)

Moreno said he does not know if Selig will discipline players who are named in the Mitchell report and insisted that there was "zero relationship" between the possibility that Matthews, a center fielder who will now move to a corner outfield position, could be suspended and the acquisition of Hunter, a Gold Glove center fielder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Crzblue had been wondering... Question Question

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 12/11/07 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Segui admits steroid use.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15

Jump to: