Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball Across America
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 7:37 am    Post subject: Baseball Across America Reply with quote

This thread is for discussing all of the ballparks across the country. I've only been to four ML parks - Veterans Stadium, Citizens Bank Park, Shea Stadium, and Camden Yards. There are ML parks out there I've never even seen and I'm sure many of you can say the same thing. So I thought I'd start this thread so we can discuss not only our home ballparks but other ballparks we've been to or even want to go to.

My home

This is the bell that rings after each homer and at the end of the game if we win

I'd like to go on a road trip next season but I don't know where I want to go yet or even who I'd go with. Just have to wait and see on that one.

Here are two pictures from my trips to other ballparks from 2005

Shea..my older brother Jonathan, me, and the blonde is his ex gf Becca

Camden Yards...I swear Jason bent over just as I was taking it. I didn't plan this. I swear!
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for a thread, Princess. As I've said before, it's my goal to see the Cardinals play in every ballpark. So far I've visited Wrigley Field, Kauffman Stadium, Olympic Stadium, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium, Great American Ballpark, PETCO Park, Dodger Stadium, and this year the Skydome (Rogers Center).

I'd have to say the best time I had out of all of those was at Fenway. It's partly for the historical aspect, and partly because of the Red Sox fans.

Next year I've got Roger Dean Stadium (S.T. site in Jupiter, FL) and Miller Park in my sights, and hopefully one other trip, but won't decide for sure until I see the 2006 schedule.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to come to out here I'll take you on a tour of CBP. I've seen the Cards in Philly every year since Scott was traded so I'm most likely going next year as well. Not only was I at Placido's first game as a Phillie but I was at Scott's first game back as a Card.
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Princess. I'll definitely keep that in my back pocket. Very Happy And likewise if you decide to swing through St. Louis sometime.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Louis is definitely on my list - especially since I have family in the area. But I think someplace that far away has to wait until I've been at my job more than a few months. I'm thinking that Pittsburgh and Washington may be possibilities for next year. And perhaps if the guys aren't too far away on Jason's birthday.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Lady of Chavez Ravine, set against the San Gabriel Mountains, north of downtown L.A., is the fourth oldest ballpark in the major leagues.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 8/15/05 2:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other stadiums I have been to have been Wrigley Field, Busch Stadium, Petco Park (season ticket holder in its inaugural season), Qualcomm Stadium, SBC Park, Network Associates Coliseum, Candlestick Park, and Angels Stadium/The "Big A".

I guess that outside of Our Lady of Chavez Ravine, my favorite would have to be Wrigley Field. The quaintness of the bricks and ivy and the intimate feel of it were selling points. Also, Olde Style beer. Smile And the organist! That lent a very old-time, traditional feel to the game experience.

As a rule, I am not a huge fan of the newer parks, but of all that I've been to or seen on TV, the most spectacular (and one which lives up to its scenic beauty in person) has got to be SBC (formerly Pacific Bell) Park. The view of the Pacific beyond the OF is absolutely breathtaking. But detracting from its splendor is the fact that it's the GIANTS' home.

I am also not a fan of "cookie cutter" stadiums that were built in the multi-purpose era. They seem bland no matter how good the teams or fans are. And I say this despite the fact that San Diego Stadium (now Qualcomm) is the place where I saw my first live MLB game, so it holds some fond memories which are nostalgic for me when I think about growing up and going to games with my family and friends. But from an overall baseball perspective, they don't do much for me. Qualcomm is a rather generic concrete monstrosity better suited for football.

Candlestick Park would also fall into that same category. That place was simply awful. The weather was terrible almost all the time, with the wind whipping off the bay (it was situated in a much worse position than SBC is and so got the brunt of it). And (ugh) the GIANTS played there. To me, they deserved that awful structure as it perfectly suited their losing legacy in SF. (If any Giants fans read this, please forgive me, I'm sure you feel the same about us.) The fans were among the rudest, even when I saw them play the Reds and didn't advertise that I was a Dodger fan. A friend of my uncle's has been an exec in the Giants' organization since the late 1980s, and a group I went with was fortunate enough to get to sit in his suite during one of the games, in 1990. That same person is now the president of operations of SBC Park. (Note this disclaimer, I am not saying all Giants fans I met were rude but the ones at Candlestick were more of the hard-core Dodger hating variety as opposed to the ones at SBC, many of whom are there because it's still a somewhat new and "trendy" park, and in a better location. Sure, they hate the Dodgers too, but there are still a lot of Bonds-only fans or newer casual fans as opposed to the long-time faithful that attended games at the Stick. You'd have to have been a diehard fan to endure games there.)

Network Associates (which was Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum when I was there) is also rather bland and devoid of feel. I had much more fun seeing a Raiders-Chargers football game in the same stadium. Football stadiums don't require unique features or quaint characteristics.

So I go by historical value and by the "feel" that most reflects baseball. I love ballparks with traditional features (and yes, that includes a live organist!). Natural scenic backdrops are a plus and are actually preferable to me as opposed to city skylines. (Even though I'm an urban chick as opposed to suburban.) This might have a lot to do with where I live, since topographical diversity is present even in our big cities. In California, seeing the ocean or the mountains is the way we gauge which direction we're heading in, and so taking one of those physical aspects into the design of a ballpark is considered taking advantage of our best features.

I visited Busch Stadium in the 1970s (we spent a few summer vacations in MO when I was growing up because my dad's family was from there). At the time, the Cardinals weren't doing very well so I probably can't compare it to either the 1960s when they had great teams, or today. There were so few people there the night I went, the weather was awful (hot and sticky), and the Cardinals played the Braves, but I was pretty uncomfortable and didn't really enjoy myself. Ah, if only I'd known Idnas back then (but she would have been too young to show me around). Smile I did enjoy looking down at Busch from the top of the Arch, too. That was kind of cool.

Angels Stadium and its predecessor, the "Big A" (which was then a multi-purpose stadium, later converted to "baseball only"), were different both times I visited. As the Big "A" (I first went in 1979, the year the Angels won their first-ever division title), I don't remember anything about it that stands out, except, of course the huge "A" capped by the halo which is visible from I-5. I went again 20 years later after the renovation took place and it seems too much like Disneyland to me. Too gimmicky, too (not baseball-related) entertainment-oriented. No view, either; it's just off a freeway in the middle of suburban sprawl. I think it truly reflects the suburbia feel of the OC, though.

Petco Park is certainly an improvement on Qualcomm but is still a little sterile looking on the inside, although the view from the top looking away from the park is pretty nice. (But why would you want to look AWAY from a game?) Some of the Mission-style architectural features are very aesthetic, but as far as bayside locations go, SBC has it beat hands-down. Back to San Diego's founding history, Petco's blueprints had a Mission bell for ringing (much as the CBP Liberty Bell replica mentioned above), but in most cases, it's "Hell's Bells" that ring for Trevor Hoffman, the Padres' long-time closer.

Still, despite its not living up to all the hype, I do like Petco as opposed to the "Q" and feel that in a sense I had a small part of it. Those of you who were on the old board may remember that I worked for the City of San Diego for 22 years, including the years 1997-2000 during which the City proposed building the Padres a new home, scouted many locations, and took into consideration what the new ballpark would entail, then placed a new stadium initiative on the ballot in November, 1998. I was working in the Engineering Department throughout the planning stages, design and early construction phases, and I personally helped solicit input from the public, including overseeing the children's contest in which young Padre fans were encouraged to submit their suggestions of features they'd like to see in a new ballpark. That was really a fun project.

I hope someday to get to Fenway Park, and yes, Yankee Stadium. My sister, who is really only a casual baseball fan but has been to both of those places with friends while visiting the East Coast, can still appreciate baseball history despite not being a rabid follower like me. Regardless of one's feelings about the Yankees, I fail to see how anyone could not appreciate the feeling of awe one must have while entering the House that Ruth Built. I must see Monument Park at some point; it's like a museum in and of itself.

Most of the above-mentioned ballparks I found to have extremely high-priced seats. This is one of the many reasons I can appreciate being able to get a $6 seat for almost any game at Dodger Stadium. Baseball certainly used to be more affordable, proportionately, than it is today. But that's just typical of so many other things in our lives. In any case, it beats buying a ticket to an NFL or NBA game.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Sat 8/20/05 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been to Fenway Park and Comerica Park, but me and my mom are hoping to start traveling more to see other parks when the sox play (especially because its so hard to get tickets these days) We're already planning a trip to Camden Yards next summer, which I can't wait to see.
Francine

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to Shea, Yankees stadium, The Vet, CBP, Camden Yards, Astro Dome and Wrigley.

Wrigley is amazing...........charming and a real nice clean park. I loved Camden Yards too.....

Next on our list is Fenway, maybe next summer. I want to meet all my Johnny Damon friends there!
soxygirl18

PostPosted: Mon 8/15/05 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to meet all my Johnny Damon friends there!

Yay!!! Very Happy I had so much fun at the fan club game in July.....It's cool to meet some of the people that you talk with so much.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/05 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soxygirl18 wrote:
We're already planning a trip to Camden Yards next summer, which I can't wait to see.

I was much more pleased with Camden Yards than I was with Shea. A really nice park and the staff was really nice. One of the guards kept trying to talk me into buying an Orioles sweatshirt Laughing My one complaint is their whole season ticket holder set up. If you're a season ticker holder you can go into the bowl before everyone else. So all of the season ticket holders had already taken all of the prime spots to see the guys. I was a mite annoyed.

Lately I've been thinking about the possibility of heading out to LA or SD when the Phils are there. I don't know yet and I have to see what my friends have to say because there's no way I'd go by myself.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/05 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lately I've been thinking about the possibility of heading out to LA or SD when the Phils are there. I don't know yet and I have to see what my friends have to say because there's no way I'd go by myself.

Well, AHEM, what the heck do you think we're here for?

I am available to meet you in either place and I'm sure Crzblue would do the same...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/05 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Quote:

Well, AHEM, what the heck do you think we're here for?

I am available to meet you in either place and I'm sure Crzblue would do the same...

lol, you know what I mean. I have an aversion to traveling alone. I'm weird, I know lol

Once the schedules are released I'll know better. I should be able to make this happen if I skip spring training. I just need to hear from Sheila. If it's a baseball only trip I'm betting she won't go. She says she's tired of baseball. How is that possible?

If possible I may do both if the Phils play them back to back but I have to figure hotel room, airfare, game tickets, food, and travel costs into the equation.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/05 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. She says she's tired of baseball. How is that possible?

I absolutely have no idea!

Quote:
If it's a baseball only trip I'm betting she won't go.

Present it as other than baseball only...as you know there are a million things to do out here that don't have to do with baseball. Then let her know after the plans are made that "Oh, by the way, I'm going to all the games while we're there."

Quote:

If possible I may do both if the Phils play them back to back but I have to figure hotel room, airfare, game tickets, food, and travel costs into the equation.

I'm sure they would be playing them on the same trip...they usually do. Just work on getting here; once you are here we can help you cut corners. I would be able to drive you around, even between L.A. & S.D. as long as you let me know well in advance. Hey I'd even let you stay at my place except I don't have one Laughing and who knows what my situation will be like then. I don't even have my own room where I'm living now! Embarassed

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/05 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only drawback is you'd have to be driven around in this:

LOL!!! Laughing

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 8/19/05 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Present it as other than baseball only...as you know there are a million things to do out here that don't have to do with baseball. Then let her know after the plans are made that "Oh, by the way, I'm going to all the games while we're there."

That's my plan. And I've never been to the West Coast so coming out there and just going to games might be foolish. There's so much that I'd like to see as well.

dodgerblue6 wrote:
I'm sure they would be playing them on the same trip...they usually do. Just work on getting here; once you are here we can help you cut corners. I would be able to drive you around, even between L.A. & S.D. as long as you let me know well in advance. Hey I'd even let you stay at my place except I don't have one Laughing and who knows what my situation will be like then. I don't even have my own room where I'm living now! Embarassed

I appreciate whatever help I'm given. I'm thinking maybe I'll just go to the Phillies hotel and knock on Jason's door to announce that he just got roommates.

As for the car...

I'll just bring a Phillies window cling and I'll put it on the rear window. I'll just take it off before I leave Wink
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/20/05 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey K. ...

Of course the car's bumper has been enhanced since that picture was taken (last season) and I added this to it:

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Sandi

PostPosted: Sun 8/21/05 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a great sailboat excursion you could take in San Diego and see a night game all in the same day. www.classicsailingadventures.com It was the best $65 I ever spent on a vacation. At least four hours of sailing, if not more, a smallish boat, six passenger limit. That might tempt your friend to take the trip with you.

Priceline is a heck of a deal for a hotel room, too. I use it all the time.

By the way, Kristen, I have something to send you in the mail if you'd like to PM me your address. It's not about Jason Michaels, but you might get a kick out of it anyway.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/05 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idnas71 wrote:
I know of a great sailboat excursion you could take in San Diego and see a night game all in the same day. www.classicsailingadventures.com It was the best $65 I ever spent on a vacation. At least four hours of sailing, if not more, a smallish boat, six passenger limit. That might tempt your friend to take the trip with you.

We went on a dolphin sighting trip when we were in Florida for ST 2004 so I'm sure she would enjoy the boat road. She's been very wishy washy ever since she broke up with her bf a few months ago so I just don't know where she's going to be on any given day.

There are a lot of "wait and see" elements to planning this trip which include next year's schedule and where certain people will be. If Jason isn't with the team I may go to wherever he is instead.

Idnas71 wrote:
By the way, Kristin, I have something to send you in the mail if you'd like to PM me your address. It's not about Jason Michaels, but you might get a kick out of it anyway.

Don't tell me that someone made a dartboard with a picture of Nikki Rolen on it Laughing
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/05 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's not a dartboard. Cool

I got your address, so be watchin' the mailbox towards the end of the week.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 8/22/05 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, I love surprises. I'll be on pins and needles all week.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/05 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I've never been to the West Coast so coming out there and just going to games might be foolish. There's so much that I'd like to see as well.

We have maps to the stars' homes out here, you know. But I'm just putting the finishing touches on my new book, "Guidebook to the Phillies' Homes in SoCal." Laughing You'll get the VIP tour.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Wed 8/24/05 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Quote:
And I've never been to the West Coast so coming out there and just going to games might be foolish. There's so much that I'd like to see as well.

We have maps to the stars' homes out here, you know. But I'm just putting the finishing touches on my new book, "Guidebook to the Phillies' Homes in SoCal." Laughing You'll get the VIP tour.

Oooh, how exciting Laughing
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Wed 8/24/05 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I do come out it looks like I'll be coming alone. Though Debbie says she'll meet me in SD. I was looking at hotels last night just for fun. I want to stay close to the ballpark and I'm considering splurging on the one of the GasLamp hotels in SD.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/05 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, is the Super 8 by the ballpark a scary, scary place? Sometimes the cheaper hotels are just frightening. For SD I'm kinda leaning towards the Gaslamp Marriot

hmmm...looking at a picture of this bed makes me want to just curl up under those covers

Sandi

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/05 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristin,

Seriously, take a look at this website. It explains the ins and outs of Priceline (in case you're not already familiar with it) and has specific information about all major cities, and some not so major, and it is also broken down by different areas of the city. It tells you prices people have gotten accepted at particular hotels and on particular dates, so you can have a good bidding strategy.

www.biddingfortravel.com

Only drawback is, no refunds if you change your mind. So I wouldn't do it unless you are 100% sure of taking the trip.

I most recently used Priceline for my trip to Toronto a couple months ago, got a fabulous room at the Sheraton for about $60 a night, including all taxes and fees.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/05 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've been mostly using expedia and qixo to get ideas of prices. I'll take a look.
Sandi

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/05 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you're a little flexible, Priceline can usually beat Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, and all those other booking sites far and away.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 8/25/05 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, bunches. Once the 2006 schedule is out I'll be able to stop thinking and start doing.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Tue 8/30/05 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrincessElisabethRimmer wrote:
Idnas71 wrote:
By the way, Kristin, I have something to send you in the mail if you'd like to PM me your address. It's not about Jason Michaels, but you might get a kick out of it anyway.

Don't tell me that someone made a dartboard with a picture of Nikki Rolen on it Laughing

Idnas71 wrote:
Nope, it's not a dartboard. Cool

I got your address, so be watchin' the mailbox towards the end of the week.

PrincessElisabethRimmer wrote:
Oooh, I love surprises. I'll be on pins and needles all week.

I certainly did get a kick out of it. Hey, everyone, Sandy here sent me a life sized growth chart with a picture of Scott Rolen w/ a milk mustache! Hilarious! I'm going to put it up in my office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: