Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Brothers Boone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Thu 1/5/06 6:13 am    Post subject: The Brothers Boone Reply with quote

I just read that Bret Boone signed a minor league contract with the Mets. I loosely follow their careers since I was a big fan of Bob Boone (son of Ray). I remember seeing them at the Vet when they were little boys and I still have the yearbooks with their pictures. Gosh, am I that OLD??

Anyway, what a roller coaster ride their careers have been! It's just weird to see an 3 time All-Star and 4 time Gold Glover being released from a team and then signed to a minor league contract. It will definitely be interesting to see if he is brought up to platoon with Kaz Matsui should his numbers and health dip any lower.

As for Aaron Bleepin' Boone Laughing , I guess I don't have to bring up his infamous home run Wink Wink . I'm glad he has a steady job with the Indians.

There is also another brother, Matt, who played minor leaque ball but I'm not sure if he is still playing or not.
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Thu 1/5/06 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a 4th Boone brother.

I will never, ever forget All Star Game 98. Sosa had to drop out due to a sore shoulder so Bretty was added to the roster. He was the only position player to not get into the game. There was a shot of him sitting on the bench looking so dejected. I just wanted to go out to Colorado and give him a hug.

Last edited by DianaPrince on Thu 1/5/06 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 1/5/06 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad my report on them last year was wiped out from the old board.

Ray Boone is somewhat of a legend in San Diego as the patriarch of the family. As you read in my thread a couple of weeks ago, the Boone family award was given to the Bavasis at the PBSF banquet in December.

For those of you who weren't around on the old board, Ray played for Hoover High, Ted Williams' H.S. baseball team, and as such both their numbers are retired at Hoover's baseball field. I was trying to impress the significance of this on my nephew when he played his first year of high school baseball on that same field last year. (I don't think that kind of stuff sinks in when you're 15, though.) Ray is also well known for his work as a scout for the Red Sox and other organizations. He was the one who signed Curt Schilling to a contract out of a small college in Arizona.

The Boones are also the only family with three generations of players to have been selected for MLB's All-Star game.

I always liked Bob best of them all, too. A friend of mine who coaches high school ball says his own claim to fame is breaking Bob Boone's records at the same high school (Crawford, in S.D.). I guess even if you don't make it to the majors yourself there is something to be said for doing that at a lower level. Smile

As for Matthew, I haven't heard anything about him in over a year although he was with the Tigers' organization. He seems to have drifted off into obscurity.

Some of you might enjoy reading this.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
PhilsPhan

PostPosted: Fri 1/6/06 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:

As for Matthew, I haven't heard anything about him in over a year although he was with the Tigers' organization. He seems to have drifted off into obscurity.

This may be an interesting way to pass the time during these dreary winter months (at least here in the east). Who can find out any information on the whereabouts of Matthew Boone??
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Fri 1/6/06 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilsPhan wrote:
dodgerblue6 wrote:

This may be an interesting way to pass the time during these dreary winter months (at least here in the east). Who can find out any information on the whereabouts of Matthew Boone??

We could make a game show out of it Where in the World is Matthew Boone?
CgrGrl

PostPosted: Fri 1/6/06 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilsPhan wrote:
dodgerblue6 wrote:

He was playing in the Mariner org for a time, but I just went to minorleaguebaseball.com and he wasn't listed anywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: