Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 Seattle Mariners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Fri 12/5/08 11:41 am    Post subject: 2009 Seattle Mariners Reply with quote

There has been a good deal going on with the Mariners in the last couple of months.

We have a new GM Jack Zduriencik. As a full season ticket holder, I was invited along with other full and half season ticket holders to have a lunch and Q&A session with him at Safeco Field. I am cautiously optimistic about what he brings to the table.

He has hired a new Manager, Don Wakamatsu. I like the energy he brings and will wait to see how things go.

Most of the coaching staff has also been named. Former Mariners outfielder Lee Tinsley and ex-Athletics hitting coach Ty Van Burkleo were announced as first-base and bench coach, respectively.

Rick Adair and John Wetteland were announced as manager Don Wakamatsu's pitching and bullpen coaches, respectively.

Bruce Hines was named as third base coach

The only position that hasn't been filled as of yet is the hitting coach.

The GM has also signed free agent infielder Russell Branyan to a one-year contract
Nurse Cozmo

PostPosted: Thu 12/11/08 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that Seattle was involved in another big signing by the Mets. A three team deal apparently. I just got this from Yahoo.
Quote:
New York shipped reliever Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez, lefty Jason Vargas and three minor leaguers to the Mariners for Putz, center fielder Jeremy Reed and reliever Sean Green in the first trade by new Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik.

Promising outfielder Franklin Gutierrez was sent from the Indians to Seattle. Cleveland got reliever Joe Smith from the Mets and 23-year-old second baseman Luis Valbuena from the Mariners.

Didn't see that one coming. I like Jason Vargas and Endy Chavez (who had that unforgettable catch in the NLCS a couple years ago.) Any opinions from Seattle fans? I can't say I'm sorry to see Putz leaving Seattle though since the Padres play them six times a year in interleague play.
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Thu 12/11/08 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nurse Cozmo wrote:
I didn't know that Seattle was involved in another big signing by the Mets. A three team deal apparently. I just got this from Yahoo.
Quote:
New York shipped reliever Aaron Heilman, outfielder Endy Chavez, lefty Jason Vargas and three minor leaguers to the Mariners for Putz, center fielder Jeremy Reed and reliever Sean Green in the first trade by new Seattle general manager Jack Zduriencik.

Promising outfielder Franklin Gutierrez was sent from the Indians to Seattle. Cleveland got reliever Joe Smith from the Mets and 23-year-old second baseman Luis Valbuena from the Mariners.

Didn't see that one coming. I like Jason Vargas and Endy Chavez (who had that unforgettable catch in the NLCS a couple years ago.) Any opinions from Seattle fans? I can't say I'm sorry to see Putz leaving Seattle though since the Padres play them six times a year in interleague play.

I haven't had a chance to process the entire trade. I see it as they fixed one problem and created another. Great now the offense is better, but they decimated the bullpen to do that. They took two of the top relievers and shipped them off. Apparently they didn't learn from last year when they shipped George Sherrill off to the Orioles. JJ is one of my favorite players. Now once again there is another player that I will be watching from afar. I may have to try and take a short road trip this summer to see him play since he won't be coming to Safeco this year. Sad
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Mon 4/27/09 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted much on this site recently due to lack of time however I thought I would share my opening series experiences and photos.

Opening day at Safeco was much different then I was expecting coming into the season. Much of that had to do with the record they had when they finally arrived home. This is a team that is/was expected to finish once again in last place after losing 101 games last season. We have a new GM, new manager, and new coaches. There are a bunch of new faces, some returning faces, and one blast from the past.

This team has an exciting feel to it and has a great mix of youngsters and old timers and they are working together as a team and doing the little things. They are an exciting team to watch and they almost have the same feel as the team from 2001. They are playing fundamental baseball. Laying down the sack bunt, stealing bases, putting the game in motion and etc.

Opening day was amazing. The news people here keep telling the fans that this is still Ichiro's team, but you wouldn't have guessed that by the ovation Griffey received when he was announced opening day and at each at bat. There are still a good deal of fans that remember what Griffey did for the team in the '90's. Ichiro still received/s loud cheers, but they just don't seem to be as loud as those for Griffey.

There are a number of good stories surrounding players on the team. Chris Jakubauskus at one time had dropped out of baseball before bouncing round the independent leagues and being signed by the M's. He received his first major league win in relief. Rob Johnson, a fellow Montanan, worked his hiney off in spring training and made the team as a back-up catcher. Then Kenji Johjima went on the DL forcing Rob into the starting role. He's taken to it wonderfully. The pitchers are raving about his skills and the work he puts into his job. He is among the leading catchers in Pitcher's ERA.

I am much more excited for baseball now that I see the style of play the team is aiming for. They are playing the small ball....this was best demonstrated when Griffey laid down a sacrifice bunt.

You can see the pictures I took during the opening series here: 2009 Seattle Mariners
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 4/27/09 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures goofy. So happy your team is looking good. Have fun!
sunnyblue

PostPosted: Mon 4/27/09 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are nice pictures, thank you.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/28/09 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, Goofy. Thanks. Better yet to learn your team is playing National League-style baseball. Very Happy I love the small ball, too.

Quote:
There are a number of good stories surrounding players on the team. Chris Jakubauskus at one time had dropped out of baseball before bouncing round the independent leagues and being signed by the M's.

I am so glad to hear that. Jakubauskus is from the small town of Laverne, CA and attended Damien High, the same school Mark McGwire played for. Maybe they need some more positive news about one of their alumni. Smile

Best of luck to you guys this year.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Tue 4/28/09 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the comments on the pictures. I love the national league style of baseball, but at the same time, I don't mind the DH. DW (M's manager) is making sure everyone is getting time off and getting playing time which is something that has been a problem in past years. How can you expect your bench to perform when you need them too if you are not keeping them sharp.

Gonna miss this site. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/28/09 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can you expect your bench to perform when you need them too if you are not keeping them sharp.

That's a good point. I appreciate managers who try to mix them in a little but not too much, at the expense of juggling too many lineups from day to day.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
stlred

PostPosted: Sat 5/2/09 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your team is still rockin!
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Wed 5/6/09 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stlred wrote:
Your team is still rockin!

Unfortunately we are starting to get beat up pretty badly. Griffey has an inflamed colon, Felix has the flu, Shawn Kelley ended up with a severe oblique strain during yesterday's game. Ryan Rowland-Smith is on the DL, Brandon Morrow is on the DL, Roy Corcoran is on the DL. Caesar Jimenez is on the DL. And unfortunately, Carlos Silva is NOT in the DL.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 6/22/09 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During Friday night's Mariners-Diamondbacks game at Safeco Field, Seattle left fielder Endy Chavez collided with SS Yuniesky Betancourt on a pop-up and injured his right knee. An MRI determined he will miss the rest of the season due to an ACL tear.

LHP Eric Bedard has been placed on the 15-day DL because of shoulder inflammation, but is due to come off this week.

The race in the AL West is tightening up. The Mariners trail Texas by only 2.5 games now.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Mon 6/22/09 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
During Friday night's Mariners-Diamondbacks game at Safeco Field, Seattle left fielder Endy Chavez collided with SS Yuniesky Betancourt on a pop-up and injured his right knee. An MRI determined he will miss the rest of the season due to an ACL tear.

LHP Eric Bedard has been placed on the 15-day DL because of shoulder inflammation, but is due to come off this week.

The race in the AL West is tightening up. The Mariners trail Texas by only 2.5 games now.

Thank you for posting this update. I know I have been extremely slacked in doing so.

The M's have had more than their fair share of rotating players due to injury and other uncontrollable incidents. Rob Johnson had to miss a couple of games due to his mother-in-law being killed in a car wreck. Russell Brynann had to miss a game to attend a funeral and then Sunday because of injury. Adrian Beltre has missed a game a half because of an injury. Jose Lopez is on the berevement list and the M's don't have any idea of when he will be back as his sister has taken a turn for the worse. I think according to MLB rules he is supposed to be back by Wednesday but I don't expect to see him back yet. Kenji is on rehab assignment with the Rainiers after breaking his toe and is expected back sometime on the next road trip..
GoofyMsFan

PostPosted: Thu 10/29/09 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I did a poor job at keeping this thread up to date.

Ichiro had another fabulous season and reached the 200 hit mark for the 9th straight year and collected his 2000th MLB hit.

Mariners (85-77) improved by 24 games over the previous season in which they lost 101 games.

This season was one of the best I've experienced as a fan. 2001 was fun because of the 116 wins, but this season was special because the team was like a family and it showed.

I always have my camera with me for the games and this year I upgraded from a point and shoot to a Digital SLR.

I took a trip to CO when the M's played there and got some shots of the bullpen "hiking" through the visitor's bullpen. It was funny to watch.

Before each game the bullpen would walk out as a group and after the game those that were left in the pen would walk back to the dugout as a group. For a good portion of the season the Bullpen would carry Spartan helmets with them and put them up in the pen and a sign of unity and this became something fans rallied around as well. Towards the end of the season Bud Selig decided that the helmets were not MLB authentic wear and could no longer be kept in the pen. My friends were given 2 of the helmets to bring to the games when they came and were able to keep them after the season was over. Other fans started making helmets or making signs for the bullpen "warriors"

I ended up putting together a photobook of pictures I had taken of the M's bullpen and I ended up with quite a few over the course of the season. They were a very entertaining bunch. From them playing telephone with a paper cup and string to putting a peanut/popcorn bucket on their heads, to shoe shine sunday, they were a great group of guys. I made one copy of the book to give to the bullpen coach John Wetteland and included a letter thanking them for the season. This is what ended up happening.

John Wetteland gathered the guys on the bench and read the letter (I had written) aloud to the guys. Next thing I know they are getting my attention and the entire bullpen blew me a kiss. I still get a warm feeling thinking about it. Then Mark Lowe called me over to find out more about the book, where I had had it done, how much it would cost, etc. The entire bullpen ordered a copy of the book, even when I told them I would need the money up front. I couple of days later, they called me over again and handed me a wad of money that included a personal check and a contact number for when the books came in. Almost forget to mention that when I was talking to John Wetteland before one of games (post book delivery) about that I needed the money in advance, John said, "Oh yeah Wak wants a copy too!" Wak as in Don Wakamatsu the Manager. needless to say I was in shock. I had no idea that the book would be so popular.

If you want to check out the book you can do so here.

After the final game of the season, the team did something I had never seen them do in the 9 years I've had my season tickets. Each and every player made sure they hugged everyone on the team. Then the entire team including coaches, grabbed duffel bags of giveaway items and walked around the warning track tossing things to the fans. As they went by they were hi-5ing the fans. It just really showed how close this team really was and how much they appreciated the fans. By the time they got to the third base dugout, they had Griffey and Ichiro up on their shoulders.

I am so excited for the 2110 season already....so much so that I've already booked a flight to see the M's on the road before their home opener in April. I can't wait!
stlred

PostPosted: Thu 10/29/09 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on the Mariners Goofy. I'm so glad you had an exciting season. It's nice to get info from you since it is hard keeping up with all the teams and I tend to focus on the NL. It just gets overwhelming trying to keep up with everyone. Seems silly that Selig would ban the helmets but not surprised. It seemed like a fun ritual that bonded the bullpen. Good luck on the upcoming seasons. Keep us informed. Believe me I know it's hard especially with so many games. I get behind all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: