Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WIN...WIN...WIN...!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/20/05 9:28 am    Post subject: WIN...WIN...WIN...! Reply with quote

Anyone here remember WIN?

It's the Women's Initiative & Network, a program which was established by Dodger president Jamie McCourt this past May to (in their words) "develop and expand our female audience." (McCourt is the highest-ranking woman in MLB.) WIN has organized several events for women and girls who are Dodger fans, but one that is coming up in three weeks is what really caught my eye. Check THIS out:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/fan_forum/win_events.jsp

At this networking breakfast, McCourt and Kim Ng, VP of Baseball Operations, will be speaking as well as several other women in careers related to baseball. As described, "This seminar includes a breakfast and panel discussion, which is designed to encourage careers in baseball by highlighting the knowledge and experience of Dodger executives and business associates."

Crzblue and I will be in attendance, and will definitely have a report on this one!

I found this info from WIN's Q&A page interesting:

How many female fans do the Dodgers have?

About 40% of the fans at a typical Dodger game are women. To put it another way, of the 3 million-plus fans who attend Dodger games each season, more than 1.2 million are women.

Who are some of the top women executives at the Dodgers?

The Dodgers have some of the most talented women executives in baseball including Jamie McCourt, Vice Chairman; Cris Hurley, CFO and SVP, Finance; Kim Ng, Vice President, Baseball Operations; Luchy Guerra, Assistant Director, Minor League Operations; and Emily Christie, General Manager, Vero Beach Dodgers to name just a few.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So it's safe to say that I am very excited about this upcoming opportunity. I wonder how many WIB (Women in Blue) will get involved with WIN?
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Sat 8/20/05 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB,
Thanks again for letting me know about this event. I already asked for the day off at work. I am so looking forward to it. Hey do you think Nancy Bea will be there?

Are you driving here or taking the train? my brother was asking me if I was going to the game the same day. Did not notice there is a game the same day.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/20/05 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we're playing the Padres that night so that's major! NL West rumbling down to the final month. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about transportation because if I do stay in town all day and go to the game, I'll need my car. Otherwise, would probably take the train (since I have to leave pretty early in the morning).

I am so looking forward to this, too! I wonder if La periodista will be going? K., if you see this, please post.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sun 8/21/05 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! That is great to see. Of course, I'm sure you know that Frank McCourt is a Boston guy and we're all liberals here...LOL...

Ruth
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/21/05 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for mentioning that, Ruth, maybe now you can give us some insight from your side about the McCourts.

Frank has been vilified by many Dodger fans as not understanding or caring about Dodger tradition (boy, I sure wish Dodger Diva would get back on here and post!) and being an "East Coast carpetbagger." To be sure, there are a few things that have bothered some of us old-timers about him but I think he is sincere about wanting to restore some Dodger traditions. The GM he hired is probably more controversial because of the way he's handled some things, but the biggest issue a lot of people have with Frank and Jamie is their bank account (lower than what people want/expect).

But Crzblue and I met him when we were in Vero Beach for ST, and briefly chatted. I know that from that incident alone we can tell he's a nice guy, right? Shocked But I'm holding off judgment until I see how a few more things play out.

To the line "we're all liberals here...LOL..."

I'll give you the equal "we're all conservatives in San Diego" (LOL as well) Laughing

But that's as far as I'll go with politics here (unless it specifically involves baseball), since I know many of us have WAY different viewpoints.

What is the overall feeling there about the McCourts? Just that they've gone Hollywood, too?

-Baseball Hall of Fame
teks tangibles

PostPosted: Sun 8/21/05 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a real good read on this. I know there was some skepticism around here about how much money he would spend on the team and whether the Dodgers would put out the extra bucks to be competitiive.

I don't remember clearly exactly what happened at the time, but I believe he was heading one of the groups that wanted to buy the Red Sox when Werner/Henry bought the team. Werner/Henry did not have the high bid but somehow worked it out by buying the stadium and NESN and there was a lot of controversy. A lot of people wanted Frank McCourt to buy the Red Sox because he owned waterfront property which could have been developed for a new ball park.

I think most people around here viewed his acquistion of the Dodgers as a consolation since he didn't get the Red Sox. But he was interviewed when the Dodgers were here and did seem very excited about owning the team and that he truly was going to go forward to make them a good, competitive team...and enjoy it. Of course, that's with cameras rolling so hard to know for sure.

Do you think he's done enough to help the team be competitive? I look at the records in the NL West and wonder what the heck is going on out there....

Ruth
la_periodista

PostPosted: Sun 8/21/05 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
I am so looking forward to this, too! I wonder if La periodista will be going? K., if you see this, please post.

I would love to go, but I honestly don't think I could make it for a lot of reasons. Too bad it's not on a Saturday or Sunday.

Make sure to tell Mrs. McCourt about our own version of WIN, this message board. Smile
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sun 8/21/05 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't remember clearly exactly what happened at the time, but I believe he was heading one of the groups that wanted to buy the Red Sox when Werner/Henry bought the team. Werner/Henry did not have the high bid but somehow worked it out by buying the stadium and NESN and there was a lot of controversy. A lot of people wanted Frank McCourt to buy the Red Sox because he owned waterfront property which could have been developed for a new ball park.

Quote:
I think most people around here viewed his acquistion of the Dodgers as a consolation since he didn't get the Red Sox. But he was interviewed when the Dodgers were here and did seem very excited about owning the team and that he truly was going to go forward to make them a good, competitive team...and enjoy it. Of course, that's with cameras rolling so hard to know for sure.

I think that's pretty much the way everyone here heard the story, too. There was a lot of alarm because of what you mentioned, the waterfront property being developed for a new ballpark. For the entire first year he owned them, rumors flew that the only reason he bought the Dodgers was because the land on which Dodger Stadium sits is of extremely high value...reports were that it would be destroyed. Now, if you're a Dodger fan you consider DS to be of immeasurable value, and nobody wants to see ANYONE--much less an East Coast-based land developer--buy your team for the sole purpose of bulldozing its stadium and developing the land. (One local sports columnist refers to McCourt as "The Boston Parking Lot Attendant.") So the story here was, he didn't get the Red Sox property and as a consolation he was buying prime real estate in L.A. However, those were somewhat put to rest this year when he signed a long-term lease (25 years?) to stay in Our Lady of Chavez Ravine.

But, in almost every interview he claims that he is a "fan first, owner second." It's just that some of the people he's hired to oversee certain aspects of the team's operations have been, shall we say, lacking in knowledge of "Dodger tradition." Some of the stories would almost be funny (such as the Fleece Blanket Fiasco) if they weren't so damn embarrassing. Confused

Quote:
Do you think he's done enough to help the team be competitive? I look at the records in the NL West and wonder what the heck is going on out there....

Can't blame you for wondering! In all fairness to him, the number of, and severity of, the injuries we've suffered can't really be blamed on ownership or management (with the exception of J.D. Drew, who given that he has a reputation of being injury-prone, they should have known what they were getting into). One other positive note is that the GM did not trade away the farm for a big name player at the trade deadline. We have a LOT of talent (recently rated by Baseball America to have the best at the AA level) that is a couple of years away from maturing.

The Dodgers had a great start early in the season, before everyone (individuals) fell apart. I wasn't thrilled about a total offseason upheaval of the reigning division champions, and in particular about losing Adrian Beltre. But things clicked early on until everyone (except Jeff Kent) got hurt in May and June. Over the last month, the impact has been felt the most in the bullpen. (For more information, see the NL "Jest" thread.) On the other hand (not to rejoice at other teams' bad luck), we've been fortunate that most of the competition has dealt with many injuries, too. Our division just isn't as deep as it was even two years ago, but it really isn't as bad as it looks now, if the Dodgers, Giants and Padres are all relatively healthy.

Thanks for your response, as I have often wondered about McCourt from the other side. I like the fact that he and Jamie love baseball, as opposed to Rupert Murdoch, who only bought the Dodgers to keep Ted Turner from monopolizing baseball on TV. A business deal may be a business deal, but it helps when you have someone who cares about the game.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 8/23/05 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Make sure to tell Mrs. McCourt about our own version of WIN, this message board.

LP:

I most certainly will. Smile I'm sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, especially given that your chosen field is in sports journalism. I can't imagine a better networking opportunity.

I'll keep everyone posted and I'm sure Crzblue will, too.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 8/27/05 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of you remember the Tommy Lasorda thread from the old board (another thread which vanished completely!), and in that I had mentioned his blog spot which is a regular feature on mlb.com.

Tommy's blog currently features a nice article about Jamie McCourt and WIN:

http://tommy.mlblogs.com/

"I salute all women who are interested in learning about baseball."
--TL 

One of the things I really like about WIN is that it is hosted a "hands on" experience involving the players. (Haha!--that ought to get some of your attention!) For example, looking back at some of the clinics they've put on this year, there was one in which young girls who want to play the game were given instruction from the big guys. Players like Jeff Kent, Odalis Perez, and Eric Gagne gave tips while watching the girls participate in hitting and fielding drills right there on the field at DS.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Mon 8/29/05 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB,
After you guys left, Victor and I headed back to the field level. I wanted to see the auction of the jerseys but it had already concluded by the time we got there. Anyway, I saw some fans getting some autographs so I went to see who was the player. It was actually Frank McCourt signing autographs and giving some tips to little kids about playing baseball. I got him to sign my RedSox ticket and afterwards I got Mrs McCourt's attention. I told her I was attending the WIN breakfast event and wanted to know if there was a dress code. She said "No dress Code" so most likely I will wear Dodger Blue.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 8/29/05 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for checking on that! I was wondering myself, so I'm glad you got to talk to her personally. Smile

There have been two events I've been very anxious to get to, and one of them was yesterday. Now we only have to wait until Friday next week. Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Fri 9/9/05 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a day!

First, this report will not be completed until later. I am only posting now because of the short time frame I have available to me to write this much.

I arrived at Dodger Stadium shortly ahead of time for the WIN event to start, and met Crzblue at the Stadium Club entrance. It would be the second time we have been inside this particular area, as we were also there for the "I Live for This!" auditions in February.

Approximately 100 women, from youthful to elderly, were in attendance for the breakfast and panel discussion. We were seated at tables with white tablecloths and elegant blue place settings. Ours was near the head table, but with a great view of the first base line at DS below us. The buffet was standard fare, Continental style. We were joined at our table by Sue Kamm from this message board (who hasn't posted since the first week we were up and running--I sternly warned her not to be absent so long again!) Smile There was a range of beverages, juice, milk, coffee, water, to choose from, but all non-alcoholic. We wondered where the Bloody Marys were. Sad

Afterward I spoke briefly with a woman named Ivette who hosts a website for female sports fans (not exclusively baseball) and handed me her card while I told her about this site. We talked about ideas as hers consists mostly of feature articles while this one is primarily message-board based. She lives in the Bay Area and came south for this event, and is also a New York transplant and as such, a Yankee fan. (Also said she supports the "A"s as opposed to the Giants. Major points for that!) Smile

She asked if I was staying in L.A. for tonight's game. Crzblue and I had discussed going to the game anyway, but our new contact actually offered us tickets in her suite--as a guest of the Dodgers! She then put me in contact with the employee who would leave the tickets at will call under my name.

So we will enjoy our Dodger dogs in style tonight! Smile Smile

There is so much to be said about the panel speakers, their encouragement, and our personal encounters with the President of the Dodgers. But it will have to wait until later, as well as the game report.

More...so much more...to come!!!

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 9/10/05 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the "rest of the story"...

By this point, we have already eaten breakfast.

Lindsay Soto of Fox Sports was the moderator for the event. (No, Carolyn Hughes was nowhere to be found today!) J

She introduced the panelists, which included a writer who has researched the impact of women on baseball, and four employees of the Dodgers in various capacities, ranging from player development to the President of the organization.

Jean Hastings Ardell spoke briefly about her book, “Breaking into Baseball: Women and the National Pastime.” I’ll have to give a plug here even though I haven’t read the book. I leafed through a copy, heard her speak about the subject matter, and it sounded all the more intriguing. Hastings’ book covers various ways in which women participate in the national pastime: as fans, as executives, as players or umpires, in media as sportswriters or reporters, or (in her words) “in the shadows as Baseball Annies.” She added that she had visualized including a chapter about “bunnies” (groupies) since their impact is felt throughout the sport but that her publisher vetoed the idea. Nonetheless, it sounds like a very interesting book. Hastings Ardell has participated in the Cooperstown symposium on baseball writing and is involved with Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), www.sabr.org. She is also married to a former player for the Anaheim Angels, Dan Ardell, and they live in Del Mar, which is just to the north of me.

Chris Hurley, a financial executive with the team, spoke briefly about her background in sports. She lived in Boston and attended college there, and said she went to many Red Sox games back in the day. I laughed to myself when I heard her talk about how many ‘dogs she ate at Fenway. (That’s for you, Soxygirl. Smile ) Hurley, employed by the Dodgers since the Fox/Newscorp. Days, expressed gratefulness for the professionalism the McCourts have brought to the franchise since they bought it in 2004.

Luchy Guerra, director of player development, said she was always determined to work in baseball, and applied for virtually “every job with the Dodgers” and was repeatedly turned down before being hired. Guerra is a Dominican native, and serves as liaison for the Latino players in the organization. She said that many pf them look to her as a family figure and that she is called on to help out in such varied capacities as helping with immigration papers and enrolling players in English classes to acting as a confidante to many of the players. Guerra described the maturity level of some of the younger players who are away from home for the first time in a foreign country, and “he doesn’t even know how to do his own laundry.” That comment got a few laughs—who among us doesn’t know some helpless man who’s the same way at age 50? She said that cultural assimilation is a big part of her job, and she enjoys the challenges of working a diverse environment such as this organization offers. She said she is also asked questions by people wanting sensationalized reports about the players: “Do you get to go into the locker room, and get to see them naked?” Guerra said that she replies “I could go into the clubhouse, but I can usually accomplish what I need to do without going there.”

Guerra also spoke about her husband: “He lives his baseball passion through me.”

Kim Ng, assistant general manager of the Dodgers, got her start in baseball working for the White Sox, fresh out of the University of Chicago. After being rejected for a position she applied for, she offered to intern, and that was what got her “foot in the door.” She rememberd constantly having to prove her baseball knowledge, and said one of the first questions when she interviewed was, “Do you know what ERA is?” In that first job, she did everything from inputting scouting reports to operating a radar gun. Ng worked for the White Sox for six years and was promoted within, and was eventually offered a position as assistant GM for the Yankees. Ng said that she fretted while considering taking the job: “I didn’t want my first assistant position to be ‘in the lion’s den.’ “ She spent four years working for the organization, and asked that comments about working for George Steinbrenner be kept off the record.

She also spoke of working in a strongly male-dominated profession in which “I would often walk in the door with a male coworker and (it was accepted that)…his hand would always be shook first.” Ng added that “women are only scratching the surface in baseball (careers).”

Last, Jamie McCourt, president of the Dodgers, was introduced. Ms. McCourt spoke on a variety of issues involving women and baseball. "Women bring a different perspective and values to the game," she told us. She also drove home this point: "If you remember nothing else, remember that behind every baseball fan, coach and player is a woman and her checkbook." McCourt added that each individual should “know your strengths and assets, and be sure to use them. A man would.”

On interviewing tips, she gave suggestions that could be applied generally: “Know your audience; be clear about what you want to accomplish; be upbeat. If you can project that consistently, you will succeed.” Hastings Ardell also impressed upon us the importance of “(using) humor…(it) is essential.”

McCourt spoke of how the love of the game was instilled in her at a young age. Some things she recalled reminded me of myself--collecting baseball cards, being comfortable "hanging out with the boys" and watching games with her family. She had often thought of getting a job in sports but there were few opportunities for women in that era. McCourt’s education and background are extensive in a variety of male-dominated backgrounds, including law and real estate. She mentioned that her original plan for her Master's thesis at MIT was to write an economic study of buying and owning a baseball team, but could not find a professor to sponsor the idea, and thus she scrapped it.

She also mentioned how much, as a fan of the game, she has grown to love the ballpark atmosphere itself. A frequent visitor to Dodger Stadium is actor Tom Hanks, and Jamie spoke of watching him keep score while attending games with his young daughter, and passing on the love of the game.

She then impressed upon us how many opportunities there are for women aspiring in baseball careers in southern California, specifically Los Angeles, stating that location was one of the reasons she feels passionately about promoting the idea that women are more likely to succeed and are fortunate to be here in this place and time:

"I Love L.A. I love everything about it. I've lived in many different cities, and I cannot say enough about living here. It's very inventive and it's wonderful for women. You can do anything you want here. We are all lucky to live in L.A. and to be women in L.A. So if you want to do something, do it, and do it well."

She also added that "everyone here has been amazingly welcoming and wonderful to me and my family", a comment which raised a few eyebrows given that the Los Angeles press has not exactly gone easy on the McCourts because of their "carpetbagger" status and rather shallow pockets (relatively speaking).

When one attendee questioned how it is that an average woman without inside connections or lot of education can achieve this success, McCourt gave a statement which I personally found to be very inspirational, encouraging her to do whatever it takes and eventually the right break will come: "Baseball needs more women. Please--if you want to be involved in it, if it is in your heart...then do it."

An unscheduled bonus was the appearance of four former players from the AALBPA (“League of their Own”) who live in the SoCal area, including the very feisty Maybelle Blair. Blair said, “Just seeing all of you here today makes us so very happy…we thought that when we stopped playing that would be the end of it for women, but it was only the beginning. It opened the door for this.”

Blair added, “Take a look at us now while you can. Of the players in the original leagues and there are (few) of us who are still alive. By next year we may all be gone.”

Speaking about Soto, Blair said, “How many of you years ago would have thought you’d see a woman broadcasting sports? I saw Lindsay covering the Dodgers, Angels, and Taft-Crenshaw (high school football) all in one night.” She added, to Soto, “pull for USC a little more.” Smile

And about McCourt, Blair reminded us “she could be sitting up there away from the crowd, but instead she’s down there next to the field yelling and hollering for the players. To me, that is baseball.”

One of the more amusing incidents of the day to Crzblue and me was our recognition of acknowledging the importance of this date--September 9--in baseball history (see thread "Perfect"). We decided to challenge a couple of panelists and test their knowledge of the Dodgers' legacy and what event had occurred right here on this very field we were looking out onto, 40 years ago tonight. When the breakfast event was first announced over a month ago, the date "September 9" had immediately signified to me "Sandy's perfect game." Crzblue emailed me that she had the same date association the minute she saw the date it was scheduled on, too.

So Crz approached Kim Ng after the panel discussion had officially concluded and asked her if she knew what happened on this date 40 years ago today. Ng drew a blank look and said that no, she didn't. She guessed that the Dodgers clinched the league title on that day, but otherwise had no clue. We then moved on to McCourt and asked her. She said she didn't know, either. Well, we told them. Jamie then said, "Sandy's perfect game? I'll have to call him." Hey, these execs have nothing on the historians of the dodgers.com fan forum! Laughing

It was obvious neither woman had read the L.A. Times that day, for the Sports Section had a lengthy article about the Sandy’s achievement in context of his overall career. Admittedly, the McCourts have only owned the team for a year, but having just celebrated the glory of the 1955 championship, we thought it important that they be aware, and maybe we instilled a little more knowledge about the franchise that is theirs.

After other event participants were done speaking with them individually, panelists started getting ready to leave, and it was at this time that Crzblue caught Jamie on her way out and handed her the copy of the article I wrote two years ago which was published on mlb.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20030409&content_id=265542&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

I told her, "I know you say you want to preserve this team's rich history. Well, this article sums up the way I and many fans feel about our heritage and tradition." She smiled and thanked me. It seemed genuine and not phony.

So regardless of what she does with it, now I know that my own words expressing my passion for the team and its enduring legacy are officially in the hands of the president of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Smile Thanks, Crzblue, for looking out for me! (Crz didn't think I was aggressive enough because I didn't speak up with a question or comment during the Q&A session.) I was too busy trying to formulate thoughts that would sound coherent when I actually spoke. Smile

We also spoke briefly to JJ Matis, the “Bag Lady”, who had pictures she shared of the products she has designed, many of the photos taken with sports celebrities. Princess, you might remember that you approved of the backpack style JJ patented, when I posted it on the board last year.

http://www.jjmatis.com/

As the panelists and the rest of the attendees started filtering out of the Stadium Club, Crz said to me, "They're going to have to make us leave." We looked around at the framed photos of Dodger greats, including one section of all Dodgers who'd appeared on the covers of Sports Illustrated. Surprisingly, nobody told us to leave! So, we were literally the last ones out, and we took our time looking around the rest of the level, including the Vin Scully Press Box—it seemed so, well, sacred!-- before heading up to Top of the Park for some browsing, where a bus was unloading a throng of Japanese tourists who descended in a horde to the shop and the top deck seating overlooking the field for photo opportunities.

We sat and gazed out on the field for awhile thinking of the season dwindling down to a precious few games left, and just enjoyed the cool air and the view.

The field itself was being primped and primed for the evening’s game, still several hours away. Neither of us made any effort to move for a long time, and I guess we were just soaking up the last few weeks at our little slice of blue heaven. Another fan who had been shopping came along and joined us to gaze out toward the mountains. We told him about the breakfast we’d just attended and talked awhile about all the changes that had been going on within the organization and the future of the team.

Inside the hallways, it was interesting to see food service employees scuttling back and forth moving boxes of Dodger dogs to the freezers. Blue and white cotton candy as fluffy as the swirling clouds above the ballpark was already placed at one of the stands with nobody attending it.

As Crzblue and I walked back to the club level so we could exit at the end of the ballpark where our cars were parked, we paused again, taking our time to look at the large photos of the Dodgers’ early years in L.A., first at the Coliseum and then at this venue which has been their home for over four decades. Again, many employees scurried back and forth but nobody questioned us and they barely even looked our way. This struck me as quite amusing, given that Dodger Stadium is generally quite anal about security (Idnas will remember that about her trip out here last year), and yet everything seemed very lax today.

So we left, only to return within three hours. And that experience is described in the "Ravin' at the Ravine" thread.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Sat 9/10/05 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report as always DB!

Can't believe we walked the entire Club level unmolested! Coming back from the top deck, we also stopped at the Reserved level and sat there. Afterwards it was back to the stairs and we sat again in the next level. We sure were having our tour of the stadium.

DB: what are the name of the other ladies from AALBPA? I loved that we got a chance to talk to them!
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 9/12/05 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Jean Hastings Ardell spoke briefly about her book, “Breaking into Baseball: Women and the National Pastime.” I’ll have to give a plug here even though I haven’t read the book. I leafed through a copy, heard her speak about the subject matter, and it sounded all the more intriguing. Hastings’ book covers various ways in which women participate in the national pastime: as fans, as executives, as players or umpires, in media as sportswriters or reporters, or (in her words) “in the shadows as Baseball Annies.” She added that she had visualized including a chapter about “bunnies” (groupies) since their impact is felt throughout the sport but that her publisher vetoed the idea. Nonetheless, it sounds like a very interesting book. Hastings Ardell has participated in the Cooperstown symposium on baseball writing and is involved with Society for American Baseball Research (SABR), www.sabr.org. She is also married to a former player for the Anaheim Angels, Dan Ardell, and they live in Del Mar, which is just to the north of me.

Wish I had known about this before because I'm planning a similar book of my own. I'd have asked you to give her my email or something *s*

dodgerblue6 wrote:
McCourt gave a statement which I personally found to be very inspirational, encouraging her to do whatever it takes and eventually the right break will come: "Baseball needs more women. Please--if you want to be involved in it, if it is in your heart...then do it."

Oooh. I want to be involved *sobs*

dodgerblue6 wrote:
We also spoke briefly to JJ Matis, the “Bag Lady”, who had pictures she shared of the products she has designed, many of the photos taken with sports celebrities. Princess, you might remember that you approved of the backpack style JJ patented, when I posted it on the board last year.

I do remember those bags. Cute but they said Dodgers. Rolling Eyes Wink
Sandi

PostPosted: Mon 9/12/05 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you sit in Mr. Scully's chair when you visited the Pressbox?!?!

What a day you ladies had... I could really feel the excitement from reading your written account.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/12/05 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cute but they said Dodgers.

Maybe we can persuade her to market other teams' products, too. Smile

I have her email address if you want it...

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 9/12/05 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have six movie purses and two tv show purses. I could always use a baseball one! Very Happy

I'm lost (under the influence of fumes). Whose email? The bag lady or the author lady?

Laughing
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 9/12/05 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I may have both. I was talking about the bag lady, though.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
DianaPrince

PostPosted: Mon 9/12/05 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Actually, I may have both. I was talking about the bag lady, though.

I thought so but since I had mentioned the email in my prior post I wanted to make sure Very Happy
suekamm

PostPosted: Tue 9/13/05 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes - I'm here.

I really don't have much to add to Linda's report, except that I was wearing a vest a friend made for me with Dodger fabric. Jamie kept looking at me and I thought she was going to say something, but didn't.

I did mention that my computer at work had Darren Dreifort and Eric Gagne wallpaper. She said, "I hope you're not going to tell me you had Cesar Izturis!" I had to admit that I did. (BTW, it's now Kirk Gibson.) Laughing

For future projects, I'd like to learn more about how to read a baserunner - how to tell whether he's going to attempt to steal; defensive strategy - when it's important for an outfielder to hit the cutoff man rather than throw directly to the base.

Aside from the excitement of the event, that night I was able to get Derek Lowe to sign my aseball.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 9/13/05 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did mention that my computer at work had Darren Dreifort and Eric Gagne wallpaper. She said, "I hope you're not going to tell me you had Cesar Izturis!" I had to admit that I did.

And she stopped there? This year you could have plugged just about any name except Jeff Kent into that sentence and I would have cringed. Mad

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 9/14/05 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suekamm wrote:
Yes, yes - I'm here.

I really don't have much to add to Linda's report, except that I was wearing a vest a friend made for me with Dodger fabric. Jamie kept looking at me and I thought she was going to say something, but didn't.

I did mention that my computer at work had Darren Dreifort and Eric Gagne wallpaper. She said, "I hope you're not going to tell me you had Cesar Izturis!" I had to admit that I did. (BTW, it's now Kirk Gibson.) Laughing

For future projects, I'd like to learn more about how to read a baserunner - how to tell whether he's going to attempt to steal; defensive strategy - when it's important for an outfielder to hit the cutoff man rather than throw directly to the base.
Aside from the excitement of the event, that night I was able to get Derek Lowe to sign my aseball.

Sue: I noticed the guys in there pointing to your vest. YEah we had a couple of guys there like photographers and I guess PR Media.

So that is what you were doing when I noticed someone handed you a ball from the duggout. Did you get to talk to JAmie or anyone from the pannel? The pictures from the event are out there in the Dodger site.
suekamm

PostPosted: Wed 9/14/05 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photos from the breakfast are on the Dodgers' site? Where? I've looked in the photo gallery and didn't find them. Sad
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/14/05 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The pictures from the event are out there in the Dodger site.

Yeah, where? I was looking for them, too.

Quote:
Sue: I noticed the guys in there pointing to your vest. YEah we had a couple of guys there like photographers and I guess PR Media.

A certain cynical person I know of commented that any male who was there that day was probably trying to "get lucky" with one of the chicks who loves baseball. Exclamation

-Baseball Hall of Fame
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 9/14/05 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I found them.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/la/fan_forum/win.jsp

If anyone wants to see Crzblue and the back of my head as we are talking to Jamie McCourt, click on the "launch" icon under the picture of the panelists.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Thu 10/13/05 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I missed this thread..............

How cool was this? I would love to attend something like this. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and it was very educating, amusing and mostly, enjoyable.

I know the Astros Wives have a gala each year and you can arrange to be at a specific table with your favorite Astros player and his wife. It's a hefty amount but it's for charity and who wouldn't love to dine with thier favorite guy?
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Sat 10/15/05 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know the Astros Wives have a gala each year and you can arrange to be at a specific table with your favorite Astros player and his wife.

Well, that does sound fun but this was completely from a different angle, about the actual operations of a baseball team. I found it to be interesting because so many angles were covered, not just the view from the top with Jamie McCourt. And hey, even she didn't start out at the top. Smile

But anyway, if they do this again they'll have to add Camille Johnston, who has just been named Senior Vice President of Communications. Now THIS is one who, given my background, I would love to have heard speak. It seems she has a very interesting background in publications and politics (as well as a Chicago connection), and she's a UCLA grad. I trust she knows her baseball as well! Smile

Crz: What say we test her on TDIBH knowledge? Smile Smile

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Francine

PostPosted: Sat 10/15/05 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eagles have something similar, well in a way. They teach women the game of football. I think they had many big wigs from the operations on hand and most of the women who attended really seemed to enjoy it. They were trying to get female fans to enjoy andpartake in what their men love.

However I find it hard to have to try and "find" female fans. Football nad hockey chicks are far worse than us Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: