Diamonds For Women Forum Index Diamonds For Women
A message board for women baseball fans

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan Encounters
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Mon 4/2/07 8:22 pm    Post subject: Fan Encounters Reply with quote

I'm starting a new thread so we can share our encounters with other baseball fans which don't necessarily fit in anywhere else on this board. For example, I've had three amusing recent experiences leading up to the beginning of the season to post about. I'm obviously going against the grain right here in the heart of San Diego (and since I make no apologies Smile ) I expect to put up with a lot of harassment, and often do.

The first one was a couple of weeks back when I was in line at a store behind someone with a lot of items, when the cashier asked him to let me go ahead because I only had two things. I plopped down my Dodgers graffiti purse (by JJ's designs) and reached inside for cash. The cashier immediately looked horrified and said, "A Dodger fan! I should have sent you to the end of the line." He gave me my change quickly and started going on about how the Padres have better pitching and were going to win the division again this year. I argued mildly and as I was getting ready to leave he said, "I'll bet you, what do you want to bet?" I told him to call it and he changed the subject. Meanwhile the guy behind me was waiting to be rung up, looking irritated, while even as I walked out the door the cashier was still going on about "We've got Peavy, Young, Maddux, and top to bottom they are better than your rotation, and besides, we own you anyway!" He was still yapping as I walked out the door. LOL.

A few days later, Alexis Detroit and I met in Balboa Park for the annual St. Patrick's Day post-parade Irish Festival which consists mostly of drinking and listening to Irish-themed bands. While I was talking to AD, a young woman approached me, again eyeing my purse and asked me, "Are you really a Dodger fan or is that just a casual thing?" I was shocked that anyone could question that, but since she didn't know me I had to explain that it's a "real thing." She said she is a season ticket holder at Dodger Stadium (I believe she said on loge level), but doesn't make it to every game since she lives down here now. We talked for awhile about the upcoming season and then I came to find out that, what a small world, she lives just a mile or so from Triple Crown. So I got her email address and said I would send info about the Dodger fan get-together in San Diego, and also about this board.

Last story, about this past weekend. As you all know I am very supportive of a lot of community events including youth sports, high school athletics, and especially my own alma mater. Being on the Kearny High Alumni Association, I do a lot of volunteer work to support the school and its programs. When it was recently announced there was a Booster Club fundraiser coming up, I immediately signed up for the dinner, which was to be held at a neighborhood American Legion hall (Jan, it's just a couple of blocks from Cardinal Drive--we may have even driven by this place last weekend). Smile The name of the bar is "Padre Gold." People were teasing me that I'd better not wear my Dodger gear to a place with that name (LOL). So when I got there, I went in to get a beer before getting into the buffet line. The bartender had her back to me but said she would be right there. I just glanced at her and didn't even pay close attention as I was opening my purse to get money out, but as soon as she whirled around she said, "Hey, I love your purse!" I looked up and she was wearing a Dodger jersey! I introduced myself and chatted with her for awhile. Told her the same thing I had told the chick at Balboa Park and got her email address too. We joked about her wearing a Dodger jersey at Padre Gold, and she said, "I have a special shot I make Padre fans drink--it's called Dodger Blue!"

So anyway, I made some new contacts and who know, we might have new posters joining because of it.
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame

Last edited by dodgerblue6 on Mon 8/12/13 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/07 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of months back, while shopping at Safeway I came on a young mother pushing a grocery cart with a baby seat attached to it ...The baby was wrapped in a Dodger Blue blanket and she had on a Dodger jersey and was wearing a Dodger cap, as usual when I'm out and about in Salinas I will be wearing Dodger or Rams colors cuz it irritates the Gnat and Forty Whiner fans...This day I was wearing a Dodger tee and my Dodger 88 World Series hat, when we spotted each other she yelled, "go Blue!" We high fived as I walked passed her...We met again in an aisle later on and I struck up a conversation with her...She was bummed because she hadn't recorded the 4 homer and walk-off...I had, so I lent it to her and gave her the DFW website address, but so far haven't seen her here OR gotten my tape back either... Confused
LadyDodgerBlue

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/07 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories Linda! Hope to share some of my own later on in the season. Smile I wonder if those 2 ladies will show up at the pub...

Drg...I'm surprised you'd lent your tape to a stranger... Confused Rolling Eyes Since you did that, I suppose you happen to have an extra tape. Wink
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/07 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyDodgerBlue wrote:
Great stories Linda! Hope to share some of my own later on in the season. Smile I wonder if those 2 ladies will show up at the pub...

Drg...I'm surprised you'd lent your tape to a stranger... Confused Rolling Eyes Since you did that, I suppose you happen to have an extra tape. Wink

No I don't have another tape Naomi, do you?
I just felt I could trust her, besides her baby was cute... Embarassed
LadyDodgerBlue

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/07 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the odds that you'll ever run into her again? I'm afraid you're gonna have to kiss your tape good-bye..*sigh* Btw, I didn't tape that game....
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 4/3/07 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stories Linda! It's amazing the people you can meet just thru baseball. I would like it if I could start meeting other fans then the ones for the cubs for a change. Hey, have they fired that Cubs fan giving the stadium tour yet?(lol)
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/07 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'believe I have the 4 homer game taped but I'll check with my brother. I know that they showed it recently and I watched the whole game. Wonderful memories. When we were losing the first game against the Red Devils, my brother was saying "not to worry, we'll have a back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to back comeback"
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/07 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you trust me Emma, maybe you could send it to me and I could duplicate it and send it back...I would be happy to pay the freight both ways...Please let me know...DRG...
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/07 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another story I want to share with you all...
Went to dinner at my wifes boss' house recently and found out the husband (two bosses) is originally from Brooklyn and is an avid Dodgers fan...He and I talked baseball into the wee hours that night, I was enthralled that he had seen so many of the old Dodgers stars at Ebbets Field...My wife came home recently and asked if I'd like to see the Dodgers/Giants game this Friday night...Her boss' are taking both of us as there guests...So I will be there Friday night in full Dodger regallia... Cool
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/07 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she could hand it to you, when she sees you. Smile

The woman who borrowed it could be a procrastinator (like some people I know, no names mentioned) with good intentions, who has just not gotten around to it yet.

Amy, it's a good thing your husband has Springsteen CDs to lend, since nobody will be asking him for Cubs championship DVDs Smile ...
"The Dodgers have always occupied an enormous place in the history of the game. If the Yankees are the most successful team in baseball history, the Dodgers are the most essential. Their legacy is unique."

-Baseball Hall of Fame
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/07 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Amy, it's a good thing your husband has Springsteen CDs to lend, since nobody will be asking him for Cubs championship DVDs Smile ...

Laughing

Good one.
LadyDodgerBlue

PostPosted: Wed 4/4/07 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgersramsguy wrote:
I have another story I want to share with you all...
Went to dinner at my wifes boss' house recently and found out the husband (two bosses) is originally from Brooklyn and is an avid Dodgers fan...He and I talked baseball into the wee hours that night, I was enthralled that he had seen so many of the old Dodgers stars at Ebbets Field...My wife came home recently and asked if I'd like to see the Dodgers/Giants game this Friday night...Her boss' are taking both of us as there guests...So I will be there Friday night in full Dodger regallia... Cool

That's right, represent our Dodgers well...have fun!!
dodgersramsguy

PostPosted: Fri 4/6/07 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodgerblue6 wrote:
Maybe she could hand it to you, when she sees you. Smile

The woman who borrowed it could be a procrastinator (like some people I know, no names mentioned) with good intentions, who has just not gotten around to it yet.

Dang, I never thought of that Linda...April 28th Emma, bring the tape...
I've written the tape off to experience, but this town isn't so big that I might not run into her again at some function...I have a l-o-n-g memory...
stlred

PostPosted: Mon 4/9/07 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRG First of all what a plus to go to a work dinner and get to talk baseball the whole night. I am jealous because my husbands boss is from Chicago(of course) and not only that but you got tickets. Not only did you get tickets but you went to an opposing game with your fans. I bet you got really good seats too. You lucky, lucky guy. I have been out of town but didn't the Dodgers win that game? I hope so because that would have been the icing on your beautiful cake.
Jan
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Tue 4/10/07 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He posted about his experience in detail a few days ago...you can read all about it. They did win.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
jimedmondsfan

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/07 12:22 pm    Post subject: St. Louis Fan Reply with quote

I met a WONDERFUL Cards fan recently. In fact the posts you all wrote about her trip to SD sounded like such fun, I HAD to meet her. LOL Actually Sandi introduced us when we went to STL for the opening series. We spent a great day together eating, shopping, talking, freezing, sneezing, meeting other Cards fans, and eating CARDINAL HOT DOGS!! (better by far than Dodger Dogs, IMO). LOL

Stlred, thanks for a great day!!
stlred

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/07 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what JEF I meet a couple of awesome Cards fans recently too. Funny thing is my experience was EXACTLY like yours. We had GREAT food, shopping, talking, freezing, sneezing, meeting other Cards fans and eating awesome Card dogs. Oh by the way on of the best things I experienced was laughing until I cried. Oh my gosh was that you and Sandi(lol) Seriously what a GREAT time did we have!!!! I see many new traditions starting for me. (you little seat hoppers) and many many more laughs. I'm laughing now thinking about that day. What kind of pie will we have next time at the Blue Owl.(lol) Can' wait to go with Sandi to Springfield and meet up with illiniamy. Look out Amy! We are slowly becoming a group called the rowdy girls. Thanks for the great day girls.
Sandi

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/07 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already know what kind of pie I am going to have on my next visit... that German Chocolate number the waitress insisted JEF try. I'm so glad JEF was adamant and got the cheesecake instead. She wouldn't have had to make such an effort to convince us then. LOL!

I've already circled several other desserts on my souvenir menu for the next, next, and next time I visit the Owl. LOL!

Maybe we should get a whole pie to go and take it to Springfield with us. What's your favorite kind of pie, Amy?
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/07 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi wrote:
Maybe we should get a whole pie to go and take it to Springfield with us. What's your favorite kind of pie, Amy?

I'm a pecan pie person, but I also like peanut butter pie, and chocolate cream pie. What's on the menu? What are some of the flavors you've circled?
Sandi

PostPosted: Tue 4/17/07 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I'll probably get noodled for taking this completely off the baseball track, but I'll do it for the sake of good pie! LOL!

Amy, pecan pie was actually my choice the day we went to the Owl. Butterscotch Pecan Pie, to be exact. It was good, I've never seen so many nuts in one slice of pie. But it wasn't that rich gooey filling I'm used to having in a pecan pie. There are four other kinds of pecan pie listed on the dessert menu... French Pecan, Chocolate Chip Pecan, Old Fashioned Pecan, and Caramel Apple Pecan Pie. How's that for variety? And then there's a Pecan Pie Cake, Chocolate Caramel Pecan Cake, and Caramel Apple Pecan Cheesecake.

I circled the Lemon Truffle Pie because the waitress recommended it, the Chocolate Tiramisu Cake, that German Chocolate Pie, the Hawaiian Coconut Cream Pie, and the Texas Traildust Pie. I still don't know what the Texas Traildust has in it, but I saw it in the display case and it just had a decadent look to it. Then there's a Mississippi Mudd Cake that sounds awesome, as well. Can you see the dilema a person has when trying to choose? I'm also a sucker for strawberry rhubarb on occasion.

You should go to the Blue Owl website and I think there's a full list of their desserts there. www.theblueowl.com. Seriously, if you pick out something you'd like to try, I'll bring it to you on 5/19. Can pack a cooler in the car so it'll stay fresh.

You know what... I am not seeing a single peanut butter pie listed on this menu. That's almost absurd. LOL! There is something called a Rhett Butler that I have no idea what it is. There is a french silk and a chocolate cream pie. Wonder what the difference is in those.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
eating CARDINAL HOT DOGS!! (better by far than Dodger Dogs, IMO). LOL

LOL indeed. Hey, I'm going by the national surveys, MLB.com, etc. not just my own opinion. Very Happy

Quote:
You should go to the Blue Owl website and I think there's a full list of their desserts there. www.theblueowl.com.

It is nice to see you people are raving about something blue for a change. Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
Okay... I'll probably get noodled for taking this completely off the baseball track, but I'll do it for the sake of good pie! LOL!

There's always a baseball angle.

Being a fan of the opposition in the NL Central, I'm sure you heard about
Felix Pie's debut
for the Cubs yesterday in their loss to the Padres.

Quote:
As for Pie, he made quite a first impression, hitting an RBI double in the fifth, then scoring the tying run on Derrek Lee's single, and throwing out a potential game-winning run at home in the 10th. It was his first major league hit, RBI, run, and assist.

So it appears that was "good Pie" indeed.

Now, taking this thread back to the original subject, I had an encounter with someone (although it would be stretching it to call her a "fan") last weekend who is a friend of my sister Erin. She saw me wearing my Dodger gear and said, "Did you know all the major leaguers are wearing #55 in Sunday night's game to honor Jackie Robinson?" I must have given her an incredulous look because she said, "Oops, that's not right?" I smiled and said, "No, but many major leaguers are wearing #42 for that reason. That's why I am, today." I turned around and showed her the number on the back of my warm-up jersey. She said, "Oh. Well, where did I get #55?" I said, "Hey, I don't know." Russell Martin isn't that well-known...yet!

And since I mentioned her above, I want to make a very important announcement on Erin. She has done so well the last few months and I thank those of you who personally expressed support and prayers for our family since I first posted about her in November. They really meant a lot to us. She returned to work in March, and celebrated her 43rd birthday on Easter Sunday, too. As you may remember, the board was my refuge during the difficult times around the holidays, which were a stressful period for us, but God saw us through. Thanks again to my DFW family.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
LadyDodgerBlue

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Linda, that's great news! I'm so happy for her and for the rest of your family as well. Very Happy May she stay healthy for many years to come!
Sandi

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your sis is doing better, Linda.
IlliniAmy

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your sis's well-being Linda.

By the way, even though it's spelled "Pie", Felix pronounces his last name like "pea - ay".
crzblue

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,
Glad to hear your sister is doing well!

Quote:
I met a WONDERFUL Cards fan recently

All the Cards fans I've met so far are wonderful!

And I have not met a pie I don't like

As far as hot dogs. Dodger dogs rule! I tried the dog here at Toronto and I actually liked it! It comes with pepper strips but you can also ask for peppers at Dodger Stadium.
Sandi

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't met a West Coast baseball fan I didn't like yet. How do you like Toronto, Crz? Have you taken a ferry over to one of the islands yet? It's really pretty over there. You can rent a bicycle and check out a neat old stone lighthouse if you haven't already. There's a cool Babe Ruth statue, too. (I think it was Ruth, my memory is failing.)
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Wed 4/18/07 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even though it's spelled "Pie", Felix pronounces his last name like "pea - ay".

Yes, I know. I've been following him for some time now and have been wondering if he'll live up to his hype. But on paper Sandi said "pie" so it fit in perfectly.

Speaking of "real" pie ("PI"), I was just watching the SoCal Sports Report a few minutes ago, and as if on cue, there was "pie" again. Cody Decker was being interviewed--he has three HRs over the past week--and while discussing all the accolades he's recently received, a couple of his teammates came up and smashed a cream pie in his face while he was still on camera.

-Baseball Hall of Fame
crzblue

PostPosted: Thu 4/19/07 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandi wrote:
I haven't met a West Coast baseball fan I didn't like yet. How do you like Toronto, Crz? Have you taken a ferry over to one of the islands yet? It's really pretty over there. You can rent a bicycle and check out a neat old stone lighthouse if you haven't already. There's a cool Babe Ruth statue, too. (I think it was Ruth, my memory is failing.)

Hey Sandi,
Toronto is very pretty. No, I have not done that. Training runs until 5 PM and then I do a little work. I leave tomorrow after the training ends. Actually trying to change my flight from 8ish to 5ish. My computer is not working in the hotel so I only use it in the training but where I am staying is acrossed from the library so I used the computer there.
stlred

PostPosted: Thu 4/19/07 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, That is AWESOME news about Erin. I was just thinking about her. About the hot dogs you maybe going by mlb surveys but I still love my Card dogs the best and when it comes to food I like what I like and don't go by surveys. I still don't understand why Dave doesn't like guacamole(lol) I mean how can you not like that? And Linda we did think of you when we took that picture in front of the Blue Owl. So see you were in spirit with us that day you just didn't know it. That was our tribute to you getting us all together.
dodgerblue6

PostPosted: Thu 4/19/07 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course I go by taste too, but the Cardinal dog could hardly compare to a picante Dodger dog. Sorry, it was kind of bland! I only mentioned the nationwide survey because JEF always makes it sound like I was biased. Smile

We like our dogs *hot* out here if you know what I mean. Very Happy

-Baseball Hall of Fame
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Diamonds For Women Forum Index -> Talkin' Baseball All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: